On Writing

I realize this update is long overdue, but I’ve been so busy I haven’t been thinking about posting on my blog. I apologize for that, and I’ll try (again) to post more frequent updates. Meanwhile, I thought I’d talk about something that has been taking up some of my time recently. I recently started actively pursuing my writing again, wrapping up my first full length novel. (I have a couple short novels written as well, but this is my first 100k+ piece.) Several of you already know about this, since you’re involved. Others may have seen me tweeting about it, but I hope you’ll still enjoy hearing about it.

As many of you know, I have been doing National Novel Writing Month for several years. The last two years, I actually worked on the same novel, and after 2010, it was very close to the end. I kept planning to finish it off, but life interrupted, and I didn’t get to it for a while. Then, April rolled around and my wife started Script Frenzy, and I decided to do some writing as well, so I broke out the manuscript for Chimera, and started writing. Several thousand words later, I had reached what felt like a good breaking point for the end of the book. I spent some time cleaning up the formatting for PDF, and submitted it to Create Space to get my free copy (Prize for winning NaNo).

During this process, I had also requested volunteers to read my VERY rough first draft. I warned them as much as I felt I could, and then turned it loose on them. So far, I haven’t had many comments, but they’ve all been pretty positive, which is promising. While waiting for feedback, I received the bound copy, and it is gorgeous. I used a Digital Blasphemy image for the cover, and if I end up self publishing, I’ll see about licensing it from him to use for my real cover, because it’s gorgeous. After receiving my copy though, I discovered that there were major problems with my margin formatting. The book was about 50 pages longer than it needed to be as a result. So, I’ve been fiddling with formatting and getting my Front Matter correct, so that things show up on the correct sides of the pages, and the stuff that needs to be there is. I also fixed my margins so they closely resemble professional layouts for similar sized paperbacks.

Next up on my list of things to do is starting the rewrite. This is a very daunting task, since it’s the longest piece of writing I’ve ever done, and there are MASSIVE problems that need solved because of how I write. But, I’m confident I can do it, and I’ve set myself the goal of having at least one full revision done (preferably two) in time for next year’s Amazon.com Breakthrough Novel Award. I have no illusions of winning, but it gives me a solid deadline, and a good objective to shoot for.

In the near future, I’ll try and post something about how my writing and editing processes work, but first, I need to go finish playing Portal 2.

%d bloggers like this: